Please show your support of Waihekepedia by adding a link to us from your web site. Waihekepedia T Shirts now available at the Ostend Market
Artworks Community Theatre (The Artworks Theatre Inc)
cnr Korora & Ocean View Roads, Oneroa, Waiheke Island
PO Box 117, Oneroa, Waiheke Island 1840
Msg: 372-2941 | Email: ArtworksTheatre@gmail.com
Artworks Community Theatre is not simply a performing arts theatre; it is a community-owned, volunteer-run, multi-purpose venue which is able to be claimed as "home" for a variety of Waiheke groups. The Snug is a relaxed and intimate venue with couches and comfortable seating for up to 20 people, and is ideal for poetry recitals, book clubs, study groups, club meetings, etc. The Auditorium (includes the stage) may be hired separately for larger group activities and performing arts, or may be hired along with the Snug for exclusive use.
The Theatre has a licensed café and EFTPOS facilities available for special events.
We have brought new energy and enthusiasm to the Theatre with an incorporated society as the administrative structure so that many hands can make light work. This ensures the brightest of futures for our wonderful community asset. The Society has been operating the Theatre since 2008 and always welcomes new members. If you're into performing, children's theatre, lighting, direction/production, set design or construction, sound, front of house, administration, makeup and wardrobe, backstage, special effects, or providing that essential component of performing arts — the audience! — get in touch with your name, edress and phone number, and we'll add you as a Friend of Artworks Theatre. There is no subscription to join the Society, so feel free!
- Mondays - Saturdays 10am - 5-ish: TimeOut Café: Take a break at TimeOut and enjoy panini, pizza, mocha latte, smoothies, shakes and a multitude of goodies.
- Mondays 6:30 - 8pm: Crash Course: Chris Martenson’s “Crash Course” is a series of videos which serves as a clear and straightforward explanation of how our economy, energy systems and environment interact, how we got to where we are today, and some reasonable expectations for the future. The July sessions will be shown in the Theatre foyer on four successive Monday evenings from the 5th until the 26th of July from 6:30-8pm. A repeat of the series will run from the 9th to 30th of August. There is no charge for the course; we do ask, however, that people choose a month when they can attend all four sessions. Please RSVP to 372-2041. Facilitated by Millie Watkins, James Samuel and Emma Bowyer-Warner. @ Artworks Community Theatre
- Tuesdays 3:30 - 8pm: Dramability: Cindy Peterken will be taking groups through drama classes that will include theatre games, improvisation, devising, script work, creating a character, stage fighting, mask work and more. Bring a dollop of enthusiasm and a sense of humour. 6-8yo: 3:30 - 4:15; 9-13yo: 4:45 - 5:45; 14-18yo: 6:30-8:00. To book, contact Cindy Peterken ph 2770 or email L.Peterken@xtra.co.nz.
- Wednesdays 7:00 - 8:30: Dramability for Adults: To book, contact Cindy Peterken ph 2770 or email L.Peterken@xtra.co.nz.
- Sundays 6-8pm: ASK Youth Church & Concert. For more information, see their website.
Upcoming Special Events:
- Daily in the wee hours: FIFA World Cup Soccer Games live on Sky at TimeOut Cafe. Free admission. @ Artworks Community Theatre
- Mo12Jul-Sa17Jul: Chroma Lab. Artworks Community Theatre and Robert Mignault are proud to be running a youth workshop during the July school vacation aimed at developing performance skills and creative approaches for making new theatre. The workshop will run from Monday 12th to Friday 16th July, with a workshop performance on Saturday 17th July. It is open to youth and young adults aged 15 to 30 with a strong desire to participate and a willingness to engage in the creative process with others. The fee for the whole course will be $100. Chroma Lab will be an exploration of new ways of making theatre in our modern world. By using various technical and digital tools such as video, web cams, projections and video mixing, it will be about creating unique stories and telling them in unique ways. Register online at www.RobertMignault.com @ Artworks Community Theatre
- We14Jul 7:30-9pm: The Great Chicane -- a Playcentre fundraiser: Magician, illusionist and entertainer the Great Chicane will perform a combination of his fast-paced unpredictable magic and illusion combined with his "magic of the mind" in an evening show for adults. Chicane's magic is light hearted and off beat, with plenty of audience participation, including sawing a member of the audience in half! Fundraising for Waiheke Playcentre. Tickets $20 -- phone 372-6746 to book. Doors and cafe open at 7pm. @ Artworks Community Theatre
- Sa31Jul: Acoustic Café -- a Steiner fundraiser: featuring: The Two Daves (Alley and Khan), Aaron Carpenter, Ian Simpson, Nikki Ngatai, Luckless (Ivy Rossiter) and Eden Roberts. Tickets $20 advance or $25 at the door (if available): book with Artworks Theatre on 2941 or ArtworksTheatre@gmail.com, or purchase your tickets at Nourish Cafe (Ostend), Loose Change (Oneroa) or the Theatre's TimeOut Cafe. @ Artworks Community Theatre
- Fr06 - Sa21Aug: Kaleidoscope Productions in seven shows; details TBA @ Artworks Community Theatre
- Fri27Aug 6-10pm: Rock Forever! We’re looking for performers who’d like to support our Family Fun and Fundraising concert for the Waiheke UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. (See http://waihekenova.wordpress.com for more info.) The concert will be held at Artworks Community Theatre and will be emceed by Grant Bridger. We’re looking at an early, family-style concert, with food and drinks available at the café, and perhaps a sausage sizzle as well. Let us know if you want to be involved!
- Sat28Aug: Lady Sings the Blues, part of Waiheke's Winter Blues Festival; details TBA
- Th08Sep-Sa18Sep: Waiheke Choral Society presents A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Nine shows: Th/Fr/Sa 8pm; Saturdays 2pm and Su11Sep 2pm. Book with the Choral Society: 372-1000 or ArtworksTheatre@gmail.com @ Artworks Community Theatre